ACFW Colorado, Bonnie Doran, DiAnn Mills, Donna Schlachter, Eventbrite, Flash Fiction, Harpstring Magazine, HIS Writers, J. N. Hups, Jill Hups, Juliet Kennedy, Kathleen E. Kovach, Kim Woodhouse, Member Monday, Novel Crafters Seminar, Paula Moldenhauer, The Inkwell
Today’s Member Monday is brought to you by Jill Hups, president of HIS Writers.
Novel Crafters Seminar of the Rockies
We are excited to have award-winning author DiAnn
Mills speak this year at our 3rd annual Novel Crafters Seminar of the Rockies. DiAnn will present four hands-on sessions in her presentation, “The Dance of Character and Plot:”
- Session 1: The Beauty of Character
- Session 2: Plots that Dance
- Session 3: The Dynamics of Emotion
- Session 4: The Rhythm of Witty Dialogue
The seminar will take place on Saturday, November 17th, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the Ramada Plaza Hotel and Convention Center in Northglenn, CO. Cost through October 31st is only $119 for ACFW members, $129 for non-members, and includes continental breakfast, plated lunch (choose from three entrees), afternoon snack, unlimited coffee/tea service, and admission to the seminar.
Flash Fiction Writing Contest
Winners of our Flash Fiction writing contest will be announced during the Novel
Crafters Seminar. Ten finalists have been chosen by Harpstring Magazine (Written World Communications), one of which will be given the honor of grand prize winner.
All finalists will have their stories published in Harpstring’s Novel Crafters Special Edition.
HIS Writers meets the second Monday of each month from 7 – 9 p.m. at the Barnes and Noble at 9370 Sheridan Blvd (NE corner of 92nd and Sheridan) in Westminster.
On Monday, November 12th, our speaker will be author Kim Woodhouse, who will speak on Deep POV:
No one wants to read shallow characters, they want to live deep inside them and experience the journey along with them.
Kim is a wife, mother, author, and musician with a quick wit and positive outlook. A popular speaker, she’s spoken at over 700 venues. Her family was chosen for ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and has appeared on The Montel Williams Show and Mystery ER. Kim’ has written two non-fiction books, Welcome Home: Our Family’s Journey to Extreme Joy (Tyndale House, 2009) and A Life That Matters (Barbour, 2012). In addition, Kim has co-written three fiction books, No Safe Haven (B&H Books, 2011) and Race Against Time (B&H Books, 2011), written with daughter Kayla, and Denali Dreams (Barbour Books), written with Ronie Kendig and releasing January 2013.
HIS Writers critique group meets the third Monday of each month from 7 – 9 p.m. at New Life Church, 1457 Nelson St. in Lakewood. The group is open to all HIS Writers members. For questions contact Donna Schlachter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In celebration of HIS Writers member accomplishments.
- Donna Schlachter entered Harlequin’s, “So You Think You Can Write,” contest. Entries are 55,000 to 60,000 words.
- Juliet Kennedy finished her young adult adventure, The Golden Book.
- Bonnie Doran signed her first book contract for her science fiction thriller, Dark Biology. The contract is with Harbor Light, an imprint of Pelican Books. Bonnie also has a devotion in My Turn To Care, scheduled for re-release.
- Kathy Kovach and Paula Moldenhauer joined with thirteen other authors at a book signing in Colorado Springs last week.
- Visitor Cheryl Meakins submitted contributions to two devotionals last week: If I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Why Can’t I Find My Car Keys? and Big Dreams From Small Spaces.
That should just about do it for HIS Writers this month. We hope to see you in November at our meeting AND at our Novel Crafters Seminar!